Monday, June 29, 2009

nokia n900


As a sucessor nokia's lesser known internet tablets The next installation will be the n900 code name "Rover". This new device is taking a bold move out in the smartphone market. Continuing the legacy of running the tablet's maemo OS. Along with the celluar network radio, nokia has made some major adjustments to the device. This is where I will put my two cents in, being a n800 owner, and enthusiast. As many new tech sites have shown the device will have an accelerometer, which is a positive improvement over using the tiltstik. opposing that view I feel that their decision to scale down the screen size to 3.5" is a betrayal. I have enjoy using my n800 with the larger 4.1" screen, even though it is not a large difference it is still about 15% smaller. Now for some positive points, I feel that one of the greatest improvements that they could do is rebuild the camera, which is what they have done, with a great upgrade to the 5 megapixel sensor. Along with the camera performance increase they have buildup the main cpu to around 500mhz, although not miles higher than the 400mhz I have in my n800, i hope furture updates may boost it up to at least 600mhz. Also The fact that Nokia has made some build in memory along with external slots is a certain because having two SD slot is what attracted me to the n800 over then n810. And the expanded virtual memory reaching into the range of netbooks(1gb) is a definite benefit. And to return to the war path of criticism, I feel that their decision to shrink the battery capacity instead of expanding it was a poor decision, this will just add them to the list of smartphone with limited battery capacity, and short battery life, even my own n800 can barely make a full day of average use. Another complaint is the fact the idea of joining up in the smartphone ranks. Even through Nokia needs a flagship high roller smartphone, I feel that they may loose many valuable maemo community contributors would have designed alot of the apps, due to the decision to go cellular. This also will also will bring the cost up to a rumored $600-700 unlocked, not the smartest decision in a tight economy. Overall I feel that Nokia has made a very well design update to the internet tablet line, \but their still is some points that I do not agree upon. The nokia n900 is rumored to come out in august and I will be glad to see its arrival.
www.maemo.org
www.nokia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment